Италия-Франция 2:1

Автор сообщения: Roger
Дата и время сообщения: 20 April 2007 at 18:55:07:

В ответ на сообщение: Есть вопрос

> Della Regale accademia ercolanese dalla sua fondazione sinora con un cenno biografico de`suoi ordinary di
> Giuseppe Castaldi. In Napoli 1840.
>
> как видим итальянцы приводят надпись, где вообще нет упоминания о Геркулануме?

А вот интересно узнать, откуда итальянцы приводят эту надпись. Источником оказалось описание графа Марчелло Венути (Descrizione delle prime scoperte d’Ercolano, первое издание - Roma, 1748), некоторое время руководившего раскопками. Я нашёл английский перевод описания, вышедший в 1750 г в Лондоне.

Вот что Венути пишет в предисловии:

It only remains to note, that in all I shall say, I intend solely to relate what I saw with my own Eyes; and I protest I have not the lest Intention to publish, or minutely describe the other beautiful Things which have been found since; nor to prejudice any one who may intend such an Undertaking: But only that this my little Tretise, in which there are some things which perhaps are not known to others, (since that an infinite Number of Things found lye in Confusion, or are buried in Heaps) may serve as a Forerunner, and Guide to that great work, which is preparing by the Order of his Majesty. And of this to give one single example: I have seen a Relation in the French Language, which is printed (Муссино - R.), the Inscription of Mammianus Rufus (a Descendant perhaps of that L. Mammius, called by Dionisius (ссылка) Vir non obscurus, "a man of Note" who saw engraved the Oracle in the Temple of Jupiter Dodoneus) found in the Theatre looking towards the Sea-Coast, after the Manner of other theatres, and particularly according to Florus, and Orosius of Tarentum; which is thus written:

L. ANNIUS. L. F. MAMMIANUS. RVFVS. IIVIR
QVINQ..EATRO......NVMISIVS. P. F.
ARO............HERCVLANEN....

The Inscriptions, as will be seen in my Description (ссылка на стр. 51), were two, and alike; the first in several Pieces of a grand Architrave, I put together and read thus:

A....MAMMI...RVFVS.IIVIR.QVN.THEATR.
ORC...DE.SUO

The second Cornice or Architrave, Fellow to the first, had another, conceived in these Terms:

L. ANNIVS L.F. MAMMIANVS. RVFVS. IIVIR.
QVINQ. THEATR. O...P.NVMISIVS.
P. F. AR...TEC....

And as the Diggers broke and destroyed every Thing, so this Architrave, though whole in the Ground, was shattered to Pieces; so that perhaps different Things were put together, and by that Means every Thing confused (ссылка на стр. 51).

И далее, на стр. 51:

This had scarce happened, when, as I went up again to give an Account to the King, two other Fragments of the abovementioned Architrave were found, which were an authentic Argument to the whole Court, of the Truth of my Assertion; which, having joined together, I brought to this Meaning:

A....MAMMI... RVFVS. II. VIR. QVIN. THEATR.
ORCH.DE SUO......

So that I could now with greater Pleasure and Certainly assert, that this was the Theatre of Herculaneum, whith its Orchestra, which had been built at the Expense of Mammianus Rufus (подчёркивания мои - R).

P.S. У Венути встречается надпись с M. NONIO M.F. BALBO PR.PRO.COS. HERCVLANENSES

2594. Есть вопрос - elcano 00:48 18.04.07 (33)
К списку тем на странице